If You Love Horses: Welcome To Our Horse Photos
Photos of Horses: Pictures, Racing, Breed History, and more. Take your pick, its all here for you, our Friends, Family, and Fellow Horse-Lovers.
Do you have a favorite equine breed? How about Quarter-Horses, Paint,
Arabian, Draft, or Morgans. They're all here, waiting for you, with more breeds being added every month.
There are also many pages about racing with links to the great racing
Legends: Secretariat, Affirmed, Ruffian, and many more to come.
It was our intention when building this web site to bring you the Best photos, pictures and history available on the Internet. All Horse related, nothing but
Best-Horse-Photos has grown into a fairly large site. Most visitors find that even after an hour they still haven't seen it all and want to return or tell their friends about us. So, your best bet is to add us to your favorites.
And don't miss our new specialty section which is growing every week based on your suggestions: Horse Jewelry, Saddles, Cowboy Boots and Hats, Posters,
And last but not least. Thanks to all our Friends and Family that have helped to make Best Horse Photos such a success. Keep sending in your ideas on how YOU want YOUR SITE to look.
Wishing you well from Oregon, USA / Steve and Kathie.
The origin of modern equine breeds
A horse of mixed breed, Dorset, UKHorses come in various sizes and shapes. The draft breeds can top 20 hands (80 inches, 2 meters) while the smallest miniature breeds can stand as low as 5.2 hands (22 inches, 0.56 meters). The Patagonian Fallabella, usually considered the smallest breed in the world, compares in size to a German Shepherd Dog.
Several schools of thought exist to explain how this range of size and shape came about. These schools grew up reasoning from the type of dentition and from the horses' outward appearance. One school, which we can call the "Four Foundations", suggests that the modern horse evolved from two types of early domesticated pony and two types of early domesticated horse; the differences between these types account for the differences in type of the modern breeds. A second school -- the "Single Foundation" -- holds only one breed underwent domestication, and it diverged in form after domestication through human selective breeding. Finally, certain geneticists have started evaluating the DNA and mitochondrial DNA to construct family trees.
Breeds, studbooks, purebreds and landraces
The idea of a "purebred" animal gained importance in Europe during the 19th century but selective breeding has occurred almost everywhere man has kept horses. The Arabs had a reputation for breeding their prize mares to only the most worthy stallions, and kept extensive pedigrees of their "asil" (purebred) horses. During the late middle ages the Carthusian monks of southern Spain, themselves forbidden to ride, bred horses which nobles throughout Europe prized; the lineage survives to this day in the Andalusian or caballo de pura raza español.
The modern landscape of breed designation presents a complicated picture. Some breeds have closed studbooks; a registered Thoroughbred, Arabian, or Quarter Horse must have two registered parents of the same breed, and no other criteria for registration apply. Other breeds tolerate limited infusions from other breeds—the modern Appaloosa for instance must have at least one Appaloosa parent but may also have a Quarter Horse, Thoroughbred, or Arabian parent and must also exhibit spotted coloration to gain full registration. Still other breeds, such as most of the warmblood sporthorses, require individual judging of an individual animal's quality before registration or breeding approval.
Breed registries also differ as to their acceptance or rejection of breeding technology. For example, all Thoroughbred registries require that a registered Thoroughbred be a product of a natural mating. A foal born of two Thoroughbred parents, but by means of artificial insemination, is barred from the Thoroughbred studbook. Some other breed registries allow artificial insemination, embryo transfer, or both.
Hotbloods, warmbloods, and coldbloods
The Arabians, whether originating on the Arabian Peninsula or from the European studs (breeding establishments) of the 18th and 19th centuries, gained the title of "hotbloods", for their fiery temperaments. The Thoroughbred is also included in the "hotbloods" category. The slow, heavy draft horses class as "coldbloods", as they usually possess a quite calm temperament. The term "warmbloods" covers everything else, but the term also specifically refers to the European breeds, such as the Hanoverian, that have dominated dressage and show jumping since the 1950s. True hotbloods usually offer greater riding challenges than other horses, especially the coldbloods. They show more excitability, and often more dominance; and the longer you ride them, the more excited they become, instead of merely getting tired (although any breed of horse can succumb to fatigue).
- BEST HORSES PHOTO BLOG
- The BEST HORSES PHOTO BLOG keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the best-horse-photos.com Web site. Subscribe here and see all the new Photos as they're posted.
- Contact Information for all Best Horse Photos Visitors
- Contact Information plus Information on Horse Behavior. Specialized Words and Vocabulary Relating to Horses and Horse Anatomy
- Best Horse Posters Store: THE PERFECT Horse Lovers Gifts
- New Horse Posters arriving daily, 2013 Horse Calendars, T-Shirts, and Horse Racing Posters. Featuring Wild-Horses, Arabian, Paint, Morgan, Draft, and Quarter Horses: Colts, Fillies, and Foals.
- Horse-Calendars 2013: Wall, Desk, and Engagement Calendars
- 2013 Horse-Calendars ARE HERE! Welcome to the Best Horse Store where you will find dozens of Dog Calendars: Wall, Desk, and Engagement Calendars. Sales!
- Quarter Horses: Your Best Site for Horse Photos
- Beautiful Pictures of American Quarter Horses. Photos, Breed Info, and History. Finding a QH breeder and the Sale .Buying a QH, setting goals, evaluating your skills; Barrel racing, Pole Bending!
- Quarter Horse Pictures: Cowboys, Cowgirls, and Horse Lovers Welcome.
- Your Best Quarter Horse Pictures, Photos, History, and Breed information. Gate way to Best Horse Photos
- Paint Horses: Your Best Site for Paint and Pinto Horse Photos
- Beautiful Photos of American Paint Horses, Paint and Pinto Horse Pictures, and History. These spotted horses were called by a variety of names: pinto, paint, skewbald, and piebald.
- Paint Horse Pictures: Your Best Site for Paint Horses and Horse Lovers.
- Find Paint Horse Pictures, Paint Horse History, and Breed Information. Gateway to Best Horse Photos. Paint Horse Posters, 2013 Calendars, and Horse Face T-Shirts.
- Draft horses: Your Best Site for Horse Photos, Pictures, and Breed History
- Beautiful PHOTOS of American Draft Horses with the Belgian, Percherons, Hackney, Clydesdale, and Denali. Extensive Breed History with pictures of their Colts, Fillies, and Foals
- Draft Horse Pictures: Your Best Site for Draft Horses and Horse Lovers.
- Draft Horse Pictures, Draft Horse History, and Origins of the Belgian Draft Horse Breed and the American Cream Draft Horse. Some stallions reach 2400 lbs.
- Arabian Horses: Your Best Site For Horse Photos, Breed History, and Horse Lovers
- Arabian Horses have contributed their qualities to most modern breeds of light horses. An unparalleled beauty, a rich history, and a unique ability to bond with their owners.
- Arabian Horse Pictures: Your Best Site for Arabian Horses and Horse Lovers
- Arabian Horse Pictures --- Historically the Arabian Horse has maintained a reputation as the horse of beauty, intelligence, courage, endurance, and romance
- Morgan Horses: Your Best Site for Horse Photos, Breed History, and Standards.
- The original Morgan Horses, an American tradition today as they were two centuries ago, rarely weighed over a thousand pounds. They are the oldest breed of light horses in the United States.
- Morgan Horse Pictures: Your Best Site for Morgan Horses and Horse Lovers
- Morgan Horse Pictures, Morgan History, Breed Characteristics and Standards. The Morgan breed has a reputation for intelligence, curiosity and a good disposition. Morgans come in a variety of colors.
- Wild Horses: Your Best Site for Horse Photos of Wild Mustangs
- Pictures and History of Wild Mustangs for Horse Lovers. BML: Myth or Fact? The Wild Horses and Burros Act recognize the wild-horse as an "integral component of the natural system”.
- Equestrian Dressage - Horse Riding and Dressage Horses.
- Photos and History of Dressage Horse Riding Breeds
- Photos of pet horses colts, fillies, foals
- photos, pictures, Arabian, Morgan, Draft, Quarter Horses with colts, fillies
- Horse Racing at Its Best; Your one stop guide to the 11 Triple Crown Winners
- Winning the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Horse Racing is considered the greatest accomplishment. The Triple Crown consists of the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes.
- Secretariat Photos, Pictures, History and Links to Horse Racing Greats.
- Secretariat became the ninth Triple Crown winner in horseracing history, and the first in 25 years. Famous Race Horses, horseracing, photos, pictures, thoroughbred racing, external links.
- Affirmed: Triple Crown Winner Photos, Pictures, and Links to Horse Racing Greats
- "And Affirmed puts his nose in front... It's Affirmed!" With those words track announcer Chick Anderson hailed the 11th American Triple Crown Winner, beating Alydar.
- Ruffian: Photos, Pictures, History and Links to Horse Racing Greats.
- Ruffian was an undefeated, multiple stakes betting winner, of superior skill and speed. As a Filly, “She” is included in anyone's list of all-time great race horse champions.
- Horse Books, Music, and Magazines of all your Favorite Breeds
- Books and Photos of Arabian, Paint, Morgan, Draft, Quarter Horses, and their foals.
- The American Paint Horse: Photo Book
- Beautiful half page book cover photos of the American Paint horse, with links to other breeds: Arabian,
- Horse Lovers Photos and Pictures
- Your Best Horse Photos and Pictures on Your Horse Lovers page.
- Cowboy Hat
- Cowboy Hat: A Must Have Item
- Cowboy Boots
- Cowboy Boots: What they're all about
- Horse Saddles
- Information about Horse Saddles: Find your best selection of Western, English, and Dressage Saddles.
- Gold Horse Jewelry
- Gold Horse Jewelry: Links for Gold Horse Jewelry
- Best Horse Store
- Welcome to YOUR Best Horse Store located right here on Best Horse Photos.com. Our comparison shopping site allows YOU to Shop for the Horse items YOU need, use, and want at the lowest prices.